Screen Reader Accessibility Auditor Job Description
We provide accessibility audits, remediation support and ongoing monitoring for companies large and small. Our diverse team brings a breadth of experience in accessibility, web development, marketing, sales and technology that is focused on making websites and mobile apps more accessible for all people.
In this position, you will be at the core of our day-to-day operations, helping identify issues with websites, mobile applications and other digital assets for our customers. You will also help with the ‘artistry’ of audits, helping our customers fix these issues in a way that is not only compliant but intuitive and usable. Once customers websites have been fixed you will help determine whether these efforts have brought these assets into compliance with website and other accessibility standards. You will confirm that the remediation was done in a way that is not only compliant but intuitive and usable. The ideal candidate for this position has a web development background with a strong knowledge of html and CSS.
Our teams typically consist of a pair of auditors. One auditor is doing the screen reader portion of the audit. This person is typically blind and technically proficient in order to identify issues found within a site. The other person is handling keyboard-only, color contrast and related accessibility issues. This person is also helping the screen reader auditor to identify other visual issues that may not be readily apparent.
Because we work in pairs, many of these skills can be in either auditor but do not necessarily need to be in both.
The following skills and qualifications are required:
- An understanding of how a screen reader user navigates a web page
- An understanding of the common issues encountered by screen readers
- Ability to rapidly use one or more desktop and/or mobile screen readers to quickly navigate the web
- Ability to quickly identify, replicate and report issues with fixes made on a web page and verify fixes
- Ability to design and follow test plans, scenarios, scripts or procedures
- Ability to document problems, using a tracking system, and report defects to auditors or remediators
- Ability to monitor error resolution and track fixes
- An understanding of the web development life cycle
- Solid intuition for what constitutes a good user experience
- Self-starter, cooperative, detail-oriented person who thrives in a startup atmosphere
- Ability to independently learn new technologies and concepts
And we’d love it if you had one or more of these:
- 3-5 years experience testing web sites and web applications
- Web front-end development experience
- Web back-end development experience
- An understanding of how a keyboard-only user navigates a web page
- An understanding of the difficulties faced by people with visual impairments such as color contrast, font-sizing and others
Sound like a good fit?
Please get in touch! Contact email@example.com